Thursday, July 17, 2008

Art Therapy

What does it mean to you?

Right now I'm in a terrible process--frantically deciding what I should major in for college. I understand that for the next two years (because of Gen Ed requirements) I won't really need to know what my major(s) is (or are). But I want to know. I don't want to be one of those people aimlessly wandering around campus (figuratively)who don't really know what they're going to do. The University that I am going to is one of the few in Texas with a Creative Writing major and minor. I chose it for this reason (among others). So I know I want to do something with that. But I've also wondered about being an art therapist--a psychotherapist who helps troubled, traumatized, or mentally ill patients express their emotions through images, word-pictures, and other artistic ways. But the thing is--I know my writing will suffer.
It's most likely draining and involved work--and I'd barely make my fifteen minutes a day!

Whoah! This is possibly the most serious post I've written--but I needed to get it out!
Now I don't feel the to bang my head up against the wall and mutter *angst* *angst* *angst*.

4 comments:

Cuileann said...

I starting writing a really long comment, but then I decided I'd just try to do a post on my blog about knowing and picking one's major. Enough of my readers are in high school that it'd probably be of interest. So. Sorry, no novella of a comment for you. :)

Traci said...

gosh, that is just a hard decision..
I have a couple more years left till I have to come up with a definite answer to all college questions, but even now I'm thinking about it. Actually I have a book right next to me about choosing colleges. heh

Good Luck!

BooksandLove said...

It was hard for me too...but what helped me was the fact that you can always get a major and a minor or go back to school and major in something else 5 to 10 yrs later. Most of my junior/senior lvl classes had adults who had already gotten a degree but wanted another one in a different field now that they had more time and money.

Erin said...

I've put a ton of thought into this lately, and I tend to start over-thinking and panicking cause I don't know what to do....ack. (I look forward to your post, cuileann!)