Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima

Woot! I'm back! I would love to put up some pictures of my trip (ended up going to Belgium, too!) but my camera was stolen the day before I left!!!!! Eesh! I am still so mad!!!
And I would love to give a minute-by-minute report of my trip but the Jet Lag has definitely caught up to me....and I have about fifty-eight relatives and friends all waiting for me to call and tell them how the trip went!
So I think I'll review the book I brought with me on the trip instead....
The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima is about your typical sixteen year old boy living in small-town America. The only things that make Jack Swift a little different are the medicine he has to take and the wicked scar above his heart.
One day Jack forgets to take his medicine....but he feels great--he's stronger, more confident and more focused. Everything is just peachy until Jack loses control and makes Garret Lobeck, a bully who is dating his ex-girlfriend, fly into the net inexplicably during soccer team tryouts.
And after a near-death incident that involved plucking a magical sword out of his ancestor's grave and a man that could throw fire, Jack realizes that he is not who he thought he was and that no one and nothing in his life is as it seems.
Jack is actually a warrior heir--one of the few left--to a secret, magical underground society called the Weir. And his life will never be the same....

I enjoyed The Warrior Heir very much--I loved the blended magical and historical elements of this book. I think anyone who enjoys YA fantasy fiction will definitely appreciate this book. And I certainly think it's worth reading. The Warrior Heir is the perfect book to curl up with on a rainy day...or in a plane (as I was). And I'm looking forward to read its companion--The Wizard Heir.

Bye now!
~Sookie

3 comments:

BooksandLove said...

I'm sorry about your camera. :( This book has been on my reading list for a while.

Sookie said...

It's definitely worth reading! I'm currently halfway through the sequel and that's very good as well, maybe even better...

cuileann said...

:( That's dreadfully unfortunate about your camera. I hope your memories and any other artificial memory whatsits (journal, etc.) can conjure up lots of vivid pictures in your head on their own.