Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Truth About Forver by Sarah Dessen

Now, I know what you're going to think as soon as you see the title and cover of Truth. But it's one of the books I read on hiatus (yes, I read more than Ophelia), and I have to say, I enjoyed it very much. Sarah Dessen is a very talented author (she also wrote This Lullaby, one of my favorites), she has a way to make you really care about her characters. The plot might not necesarily have been riveting, but there is a natural suspence you feel about getting to see what her characters do or go through next. I recommend this book for 14+, since there is a bit of language.

Macy is not looking foward to this summer. Her boyfriend is going off to "brain camp", and she is stuck working his job at the info desk at the library, where her co-workers frequently ignore her. With her father dying just recently, and her mother constantly in work mode, Macy is lonely and doesn't expect the word "fun" to come up by any chance.
But that's just what happens.
Macy meets the Wish Catering crew: chaos-driven Delia, the zany Kristy, monotone Monica, doomsday-er Bert, and best of all...Wes. Wes, who intrigues Macy by his artistic talents--and his attractiveness. Wes, who already has a girlfriend, but who befriends Macy. Wes, who teaches Macy the truth about forever and gives her the strength to stop mourning her father.

13 comments:

Erin said...

I really want to read this.

I've only read one Sarah Dessen book, 'Just Listen'. Have you read that? I liked it a lot.

Sookie said...

Erin: yes, I read Just Listen. I liked it a very much, even though I think it copied the plot of one of my new favorite books (Speak) in certain ways. My favorite Dessen book will always be This Lullaby.

Leanna said...

I really love this book. It was the first one I'd ever read by Sarah Dessen.

Teen Troves said...

The Truth About Forever is my favorite Dessen book with This Lullaby, and the newest Lock and Key as a close 3rd.

-Mollie

Anidori-Isilee said...

I have The Truth about Forever and This Lullaby so...

I've heard that Just Listen is really similar to Speak (which has long been one of my favorites) so I do want to read Just Listen to see. :-)

Edge said...

Hmmm...I"ll have to read it. And as far as cross-country versus track...I'll take cross-country anyday. Mud is fun :-)

Sookie said...

Anidori: Do read Just Listen, it is worth reading (especially if you like music).

Tree Troves: Yes, I know, I can't WAIT to read Lock and Key!

Edge: yeah, the only problem is we had a little flooding problem back in October on the crosscountry course. Basically this little ravine turned into a raging river...and let me just tell you my shoes were caked! (In mud)

Anonymous said...

does the "Truth About Forever" have any sexual content in it?

Anonymous said...

i read "Just Listen" it was pretty good. way better than "Speak" i didnt really like that one but that is just my opinion

Sookie said...

Anonymous #1:
It does NOT have sexual content--but it does have some hintings here and there, and Macy does talk about sex (only once, I believe--but it's not graphic or anything).

Anonymous #2:
Well, since Speak was published first--I have to go with that that's a more original story.
I still loved Just Listen. But Speak will always be one of my top five books.

Anonymous said...

i dont know it was just to depressing for me i liked just listen better it had a lot more going on

katlin said...

i really like sarah dessen's work i've read almost ever one but i think the best is the truth about forever bet i really like this lullaby too.

wrigleyfield said...

I have room in my heart for both Just Listen and Speak.

In fact, I think Just Listen is Dessen's best book, but The Truth About Forever somehow remains my favorite. Something about Wes and Macy's flirtation... it gets me Every. Damn. Time.