Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Red Queen's Daughter by Jaqueline Kolosov



I love almost any book that blends history and fantasy together. I especially love this book because it took place in the Elizabethan times. But I also love The Red Queen's Daughter for many more reasons. The writing is filled with imagery of nature, flowers, and stones. I also love the magic in this book--it is linked with nature and has that element of alchemy. Also, I LOVED the stones and their meanings. But anyway, the story is very intriguing also.

Mary Seymour is Catherine Parr's daughter (the author wrote a note on this--Mary is a somewhat fictional character because in reality she died at the age of two; another thing I love about this book--te author rewrites history, very cool...). She is orphaned and taken in by Lady Strange, a mysterious lady who is set to train Mary as a white magician--someone to watch and protect over young Queen Elizabeth's reign. But Court is a treacherous place, and she is put into some situations she is not ready for--including falling in love with her cousin, Edmund Seymour, the greatest Dark Magician in England...

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes magic, adventure, and history, with a bit of romance thrown in.

(My only complaint was that the part between meeting Lady Strange and going to court was a little slow.)

~Sookie
Ps. Sorry I've been a little MIA around here. I hope to resolve that by posting at least three times a week...that's my goal. Well, maybe two...

5 comments:

Erin said...

That sounds great - I'll put it on my to-read list!

Em said...

Hi Sookie,
I sent you an email just now re: The Host ARC. It's coming from emsbookshelf (at) gmail.com

:-)

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Hmm, sounds interesting. :)
Yeah, Gilmore Girls and Sookie. That's cool.

Sookie said...

Erin: I'm glad! This is one of my favorite new releases. Plus--the author lives in Texas!

Em: I e-mailed you back (finally)

Pickles: Yes, I think I'm a lot like Sookie...except for the whole chef thing.

Jess said...

"I would recommend this book to anyone who likes magic, adventure, and history, with a bit of romance thrown in." --I totally fit into that category ;D Hoping the 3 (or 2) posts per week thing works out :)

~Jess (Bohae)