Sunday, January 20, 2008

I am going to LOVE this book

In English class we have to form small reading groups and pick a different book for each group. My group chose Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I'm only on page ten...and I adore this book.
Just read the first sentence in the book:
"It is my first morning of high school. I have seven new notebooks, a skirt I hate, and a stomachache."
For some reason, I could just tell I would like the heroine of this book. Her voice sounds so familiar--like one of my friends, or myself....
As the story develops, you can tell there is something wrong with the girl, Melinda. Her friends have all turned their backs on her, nearly everyone hates her, and she can't seem to say much of anything.
Even though I am not that far along, I highly recommend this book.
Well, I should get back to reading...
Ooh! I think I smell jasmine tea...must go.

6 comments:

Em said...

I haven't read anything by her...maybe I'll start with Speak. And jasmine tea! sounds nice :)

Jess said...

AH! Speak is SUCH an amazing book - I can easily say that I loved it :)

Anidori-Isilee said...

*gasp* I love this book so much. It's one of my all-time favorites. And the movie is wonderful as well. So true to the book.

Erin said...

I keep hearing fabulous things about this book; I really ought to read it.

Sookie said...

Em & Erin: You MUST read Speak, it is amazing. One of those books that everyone needs to read. I just finished it. (Ani-Isilee, I've seen the movie, it's absolutely fabulous as well, I agree).
Jess: I totally and completely agree :-)

Jess said...

Oh yes - and the Platinum Edition is pretty awesome (amazing cover and *extras* ;)

I really want the other Platinum books to finish my collection of...platinum?? ;)