Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Manga anyone?

When I first heard about Manga specifically (I already knew about Graphic Novels--but these are a bit different), my friend asked me if I had read any. I thought she was joking so I laughed.
She looked at me like I had a third eye on top of my forehead.
"What's Manga?"
I asked.
Now I had an addition of tentacles to go with my third eye. Apparently I was supposed to know what this "Manga" was.
She told me.
I bought some.
I got a headache from trying to read a book backwards.
I threw them out.
Now, awhile later, after another friend of mine read Twilight, she recommended this Manga series to me: Millenium Snow. At first I was like "I am NOT reading any type of book by a guy named 'Biscuit Hatred'" (It's actually Bisco Hatori, and she's a she). Then my friend forced me to borrow her copy, and I'm in the middle of reading it now. I really like it, even though the backwards-reading and almost no text thing and sketchy drawings thing still kind of bugs me.
All I want to know is--what do ya'll think of Manga? Do ya'll know any good Manga series besides Millenium Snow?

6 comments:

Erin said...

I haven't read any manga novels, but a friend of mine loves the Naruto series. (Naruto Volume 1, etc.) She described it as Harry Potter with ninjas instead of wizards. :)

Anilee said...

My brother reads manga sometimes. I really don't like it at all. Not my thing. I'd rather have the words instead of the pictures because I can't make much sense out of the pictures. I'm sure the stories are great and everything, but...I just can't get used to having to depend upon the pictures.

Sookie said...

Erin: ha ha! Harry Potter ninjas! I love it!

Anilee: I get you. I'd rather have prose or even free verse. It is difficult to read backwards in pictures and limited words. One thing about the stories, though: they go much, much faster than in books--the smooth flow of transition to drama that's in books does not exist in the Manga world....

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Um, I never tried it. I was also frustrated with the "backwards" thing. Honestly, couldn't quite figure out how to read it. :)

gayle said...

I would recommend the following manga: Kare First Love by Kaho Miyasaka (teen romance), Death Note by Tsugumi Oba (drama), or Yakitate! by Takashi Hashiguchi (humor).

I didn't read manga until I became a young adult librarian and wanted to see first hand what the appeal was. Like with anything else reading manga is hit or miss, some grab my attention quickly while others leave a lot to be desired.

Bohae said...

i have read manga before....and had similar opinions as you inthe beginning : ) After a while, though, they became rather fun to read : ) Gee, I know this one about a mixed up family, but I just can't remember the name anymore...my friend in the US loved manga, so I used to borrow from her....if I happen to remember what the title is, I'll be sure to somehow tell you :)