Sunday, December 30, 2007

Book Review: Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier


Wildwood Dancing is a stunning, entertaining book chock full of fairy-tale prettyness and multi-dimmensional characters galore.
The story is based primarily upon The Twelve Dancing Princesses (though you can see traces of other fairytales as well) and based in my favorite foreign country--Romania--in my favorite province--Transylvania.
There are five daughters who live at Piscul Dracului. Every Full Moon they open the portal and travel to the Other Kingdom. For that night, they dance at the revels in the wildwood with the otherworldy creatures , and, thanks to Jenica's watching eyes, they have not had any trouble until three new arrivals are introduced at the revels--Night People. Otherwise known as vampires. Suddenly, Jenica and her sisters' lives are turned upside down. And it won't be easy getting everything back to normal. After all--everything comes with a price.
This is definitely one of my new favorites--I love the blend of vampires and Fey, the Romanian terms and names, not to mention Gogu--he is such an awesome frog! (I totally wish I had a frog to carry around on my shoulder!)
Anyway, I would definitely recommend this to anyone who reads the YA fantasy genre.
~Sookie

9 comments:

Bohae said...

I really want to read this ; )

Anidori-Isilee said...

I *loved* this book. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Erin said...

Yep, this is great. It made my best books of the year list!

Sookie said...

Bohae: you should, you should.

Ani: it's one of my new faves too ^_^

Erin: I thought it would. It's just....an amazing book!

Erin said...

Are you going to do a best books list?

Happy New Year!

Sookie said...

I'm thinking about it.
Happy New Year to you too!
Here's to another splendid year of reading splendid books....

Bohae said...

Yes! Yes! I should, I would, but I couldn't (cannot - present tense). *Sighs* all books seem so...*appetizing* to me right now ; )

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

I'm a descendent of Romania. And Transylvania more specifically. :)

Sookie said...

Pickles: That is SO cool!