Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Carpe Diem by Autumn Cornwell

Carpe Diem: Cease the Day
Vassar Spore lives out her days making extensive lists of goals (including going to her namesake, Vassar, and winning a Pulizter prize, not to mention marrying a 6'5 blond surgeon, or judge). And also watching her father revise his book: How to Increase Your Persoanl Productivity in 2,000 Easy Steps--while going over her goals with her mom in the appropriated Hour of Reflection.
That is until Vassar recieves a sixteenth birthday present from her mysterious grandmother Gertrude (who lives in Southeast Asia) a few months late: A ticket to Malaysia. And also--an offer to be her assistant while trekking through the Laotian jungles in search of a rare beetle....
At first her parents refuse point blank (and so does Vassar) but whispers of blackmail and a sinister Family Secret send Vassar packing on a plane to Malaysia in less than two weeks, with her ten monogrammed suitcases and all. But Vassar and suitcases # 2-10 may be in for a wild and surprising ride, not to mention the unveiling of the Secret, a little romance with an Asian cowboy, and some strange Asian toilet adventures as well.
Will Vassar come out of this experience unscathed? Or will she learn to Cease the Day (instead of plan it out)and, like her grandmother, Live in the Moment?

I loved this book more than I can tell. It is one fourth adventure, one-eighth romance, and two halves of excellent writing. I enjoyed learning all the phrases and words from Maylay, Laotion, Cambodian, and Latin, and learning a bit more about Southeast Asia. It is definitely my kind of book--and is worming its way into my top ten.

12 comments:

Erin said...

Top 10 books of all time? Or of the month?

Sounds really, really intriguing! Thanks for your review - I'll put it on my to-read list.

Sookie said...

No, of all time. I know I have a top five of the month. But my FAVORITE FAVORITE books are only about nine or ten (this includes New Moon of the Twilight series, A Tale of Two Cities, the Goose Girl, the Horse and His Boy, the Princess Bride, The Austere Academy, Wuthering Heights, Romeo and Juliet, and now Carpe Diem....books I can read anytime, all the time....And then there are the books I extremely like and can reread--but nothing like my favorites). I'm such a book geek ;-)

Enna Isilee said...

I know. It sounds cool.

I'm still amazed at how many people think that Carpe Diem means "Fish of the day"'

Erin said...

Wow! I *definitely* want to read it now. (Along with Wuthering Heights, Tale of Two Cities, and, ok, New Moon.)

I just read Romeo and Juliet. LOVED it. I am currently obsessed with the idea of playing Juliet.
Ah I love Shakespeare. :)

Anidori-Isilee said...

Sounds really really good. I'll have to look for it.

Sookie said...

Enna isilee: when I bought the book the sales clerk told that to me also. It sounds less like "fish of the day" when you've taken Spanish.

Erin: If you loved Romeo and Juliet. You will LOVE New Moon. I also love the idea of being in a Shalespeare play :-)

Anidori Isilee: Yes, it's really awesome!

Lara said...

ive just finshed this book and it was brilliant....i meant a lot to me because ive been to all the places she went!!!! It was like going there all over again!!

Anonymous said...

I m reading this book now..just about Pg100..
carpe diem?seize a day?

Jay said...

Do you think she will write a sequel? that would be the best! i really hope she does.

Sheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheryl said...

Just bought it and I just finished it yesterday. I couldn't quite put it down. =D

There is one mistake in the book though... Or maybe it's the printing.. When PAUN Azizah introduce herself when Vassar arrived in Malacca... it's suppose to be pUAn. Yes. I'm Malaysian. =D

I couldn't get enough of it.. Re-reading it again. LOL

And yes, agreed. I do hope she'll write a sequel too. XD Ahh.

*typo at last post. =)

Anonymous said...

it was an awesome book just read for the first time. i have to say the author did an amazing job of describing the latin american countries. and out of a scale from 1 to 10 it is a solid 10