Saturday, September 22, 2007

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale


Set in a fantasy world that mirrors medieval Mongolia, B1000 is the diary of a girl named Dashti who is shut in a tower with her mistress after she refused to marry a certain suitor. Dashti learns how to live in a tower without seeing the sky, and about why her lady is always so frightened. And we learn with her, as she records everything in her diary.

I don't think there has ever been a more likable main character than Dashti. She's not "too perfect" or one-dimensional. We hear her voice and her story, and both are beautiful. Shannon Hale always has a way with words in her books--but I think this one is my favorite. It's just so brilliant. And it's spun with a bit of magic too....

It did take me a bit to get used to the diary-style writing and the illustrations. But I found by the end that I loved both. Don't pass up a chance to read this book!

3 comments:

Erin said...

"It did take me a bit to get used to the diary-style writing and the illustrations. But I found by the end that I loved both."

This is the way I felt, too. Oh what a great book!!!!! So glad you liked it! I think it's the best "diary book" I've ever read.

Bohae said...

AH! I so want to read this... Anything by Shannon Hale rocks!!

Sookie said...

Erin: I do to. I loved The Princess Diaries but I'm going to have to agree with you on this one--Dashti's diary is too good to put down.

Bohae: I agree--I think Shannon Hale is my favorite author in voice. Everything she writes is just so lovely.