Tuesday, June 5, 2007

More Meme Love

From Meme Girls

1. Do you outline?
Since I'm just a kid in high school, trying to find the best writing method for me-I've tried outlining. It just ain't my style.
2. Do you write straight through a book, or do you sometimes tackle the scenes out of order?
It depends, sometimes I write my stories out of order because my brain doesn't allow me to put the scenes and information in a certain order until I reach a point. And sometimes-I just write straight on through.
3. Do you prefer writing with a pen or using a computer?
I used to prefer pen. Now I prefer computer. But my computer is broken and highly unpredictable, so now I'm writing in pen again.
4. Do you prefer writing in first person or third?
Both! I'm a strange writer-sometimes the story will have one voice (first or third) and sometimes I've written stories where it changes. But mainly I'd have to say first.
5. Do you listen to music while you write? If so, do you create a playlist, listen randomly, or pick a single song that fits the book?
I've tried and tried to write with a playlist. I can pick songs immediately once I have some idea of the plot. Sadly, though, I can't write with music on. So I organize a playlist on my iPod for the story and listen to it while I'm running or driving-just because I can't write with music doesn't mean it doesn't inspire me to write!
6. How do you come up with the perfect names for your characters?
Naming is honestly the hardest part I have with characters. I usually go to babynames.com as a resource, or if there's some family/antiquity names involved I check the American or British cencus records to see what names were more popular when. I've seen some really weird names ;-)
7. When you're writing, do you ever imagine your book as a television show or movie?
Yes!! As a movie-always. I always have.
8. Have you ever had a character insist on doing something you really didn't want him/her to do?
All the time!!!
9. Do you know how a book is going to end when you start it?
No, never-I mean, I can guess but I usually guess wrong.
10. Where do you write?
In my room or the car's room (where the computer is)
11. What do you do when you get writer's block?
I pace around the house, eat, or if it's a really bad case-watch a movie, go to the bookestore, or take a walk
12. What size increments do you write in (either in terms of wordcount, or as a percentage of the book as a whole)?
Sometimes I write two words and sometimes I write two-thousand, I just have to make sure that I get my fifteen minutes in per night.
13. How many different drafts did you write for your last project?
My last finished project was a girly novel called "Blue", it had only one draft, sadly, that I've never picked back up.
14. Have you ever changed a character's name midway through a draft?
No, once I choose a name-it's a done deal. The process in finding one, however, can take up to a week's worth of research. I make sure all my characters (at least the main ones) are correctly named.
15. Do you let anyone read your book while you're working on it, or do you wait until you've completed a draft before letting someone else see it?
With "Blue" I let someone read the first 800 words, got encouragement, sent a larger portion of chapter to another friend, was encouraged.....eventually I started posting its chapters on a blog where all my friends could read. I was searching for a good blogging host: that's how I found blogger ;-)
16. What do you do to celebrate when you finish a draft?
I was on the next to last chapter of Blue when I decided to just chuck it all....school was starting, and my mind was racing with other projects. So I've never really had that feeling....
17. One project at a time, or multiple projects at once?
ONE AT A TIME!!!!! Slow and steady wins the race......
18. Do your books grow or shrink in revision?
grow enourmously
19. Do you have any writing or critique partners?
I had some reoccuring readers on a writing community.....and my friends....but that was it.
20. Do you prefer drafting or revising?
Drafting.....I've only done revising on short stories and poems....and it's not fun!

-Sookie

4 comments:

Erin said...

Great meme! Once I'm caught up with all the other memes I've been tagged with (insert groan) I will try to remember this one and do it.

I love the icon of the month, very classy. :)

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

That is an interesting one. And now that I found the tag, I'll definantly do it! :)

Sookie said...

Thanks Erin! Sorry you've been tagged a lot lately ;-).
Pickles: thanks!

Erin said...

Ah, don't be sorry. It's nice to feel loved. :D