Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sunday: Double Feature (book reviews)

*****************Edit**********************
Anther Edit: Don't be alarmed! I'm not taking this site down! I think a few people might be confused-because I really didn't explain it well. No, I'm not taking this site down (or the header! Thanks by the way, Erin!). I'm just merely not writing for awhile, that's all. I currently finished one of my "client's" (still can't believe I'm typing that word!) sites and finished their layout. So that will leave me with a few more moments of spare time!
**************

I may not post to this journal again seeing as I have a livejournal account that will now support all my book reviews/personal stuff. Also, it's hard enough keeping up with two websites! And I have five (including this blog)! Plus two more than I plan to open in the summer. I love this blog, I really do. But I may to have hiatus from posting for awhile-at least until those other two sites get going. And if I don't have another client. Oooh-by the way, I took the AP English test this morning! Pray, knock on wood, and cross fingers that I will get a three or higher!!!!!
bye guys,
Sookie
Ps. The Link to my LJ (come and visit me!)

**************End Edit*********************


Okay, so here are two book reviews on the two books I read last. I'm starting a new tradition today: The Sunday Double-Feature (this will come in handy when I haven't read enough books for a Monthly Top Five).


T H E S U M M E R K I N G
(B Y O . R . M E L L I N G)


I loved The Summer King. It is the sequel to The Hunter's Moon.
The book was charming (though it's a tear-jerker, I have to say). I love O. R. Melling's beautiful descriptions of Faerie (especially the boctogi-I hope I spelled that right-the sea fairies) and Ireland. I love how the story intertwines with history, modern times, and fantasy all at the same time.
It's hard to keep up with the many Irish phrases and the non-American phrasing. But it's definitely worth reading! There's even a glossary for the Irish at the back! I especially recommend reading these books if you're of Irish ancestry-like I am-and are planning to go there next year!

Laurel goes to Ireland to visit her grandparents and to commemorate the one year anniversary of her twin, Honor's, death. She, however, gets more than she barganed for when the "Roly-Poly Man" (a Clurican with a penchant for drinking) tells her about a nearly impossible quest to find the Summer King and save all of Faerie (and Honor too-who hasn't really died but is sleeping in a deep fissure of Faerie and cannot be woken without the power that the Summer King will bring about if he can forge the ring of fire on Midsummer's Eve). Laurel, who hasn't ever believed in fairies until now, has six days to complete to quest. But she may be in for some serious surprises along the way.

W H Y I L E T M Y H A I R G R O W O U T
(B Y M A R Y R O S E W O O D)

I first picked up this book because I noticed the cover (and loved it!). I know, I know. Don't judge a book by it's cover......But I still do it sometimes. Just like it's cover, this book is loud, comical, and fresh. The writing is a bit like a hybrid between Lemony Snicket and Meg Cabot (if such a hybrid can be made).
Here's a quote which illustrates what I'm saying:


IRELAND IS ON GREENWHICH MEAN TIME, WHICH IS FIVE HOURS LATER THAN GREENWICH, CONNECTICUT TIME.
GREENWICH MEAN TIME. I LIKED THE SOUND OF IT. THERE WAS NO GREENWICH NICE TIME, AND THAT WAS FINE WITH ME.


Morgan is dumped by her boyfriend, Raphael, and goes a little mental in the process-by which I mean she is dumped by her boyfriend and immediately cuts off her strawberry blonde hair and dies what's left of it orange. Her parents freak-of course-and decide to send her off on a bike tour of Ireland. Where all chaos ensues. Involving fairies, being bald one minute and having waist-length hair the next, being tossed into the past, a cute warrier-dude, a couple of TVINS thrown into the mix, and sore bottoms. This is one cool, hip Irish fantasy that you cannot afford not to have!


3 comments:

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Cool! Books reviews. I love it.

Erin said...

Sniff...but you just got such a purty header. :(

Oh well, at least you're not leaving us completely!!

Erin said...

Oh, OK, PHEW!