Friday, March 16, 2007

Pride and Prejudice Project

Okay-so have you been wondering where I am?
I've been busy lately-not just with my social life (ha! that could almost be a joke), homework (most of which I've avoided like the black plague), and almost religiously studying for the SATs-but with my new project. I've taken it upon myself to recover three classics-Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen), Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare), and Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte). These are some of my favorite classics. And even though I'm a huge fan for contemporary books being read in the classroom and assigned for book reports (Shannon Hale-I salute you), I still wish people wouldn't balk at the chance to read the books that inspired today's literature. And one thing people (including myself) do is judge the book by the cover. The covers for the classics aren't necessarily bad (in fact-I really like the way Barnes and Nobles is doing their covers these days), but I wanted to make covers that would attract the young adult eye just a *little bit* more. Of course, they'll never be printed, but if you didn't read above-I am SORELY lacking some fun and entertainment. So here are the latest three. I'll unveil all three final projects when I'm done-but I won't tell anyone which ones I'll choose to not store in my recycle bin forever.
Also, if anyone's up to it and wants to do it-I challenge you to also re-cover your three favorite classics. Of course-probably no one will want to do this one-because I'm just weird that way and like making book covers. But it is sort of fun-because you can pick out your favorite themes of the book and choose photos and fonts and taglines (the little text on the cover that usually says something that appeals to the themes and plot of the book) and whatnot.
So anyway-if you want to-I won't stop you from making those covers. I'm not the cover monster.
But yeah, anyway-tell me how you like these and which one's your favorite.





































(above) The Overdone Flower Cover:
I like this one a lot-it has a lot of color value, and even though it IS a bit overdone-the single flower thingy-it's still a BIT more interesting since I turned it upside-down, right?
The themes are a bit girlish-flowers and pink-so if a teenage guy had to read this for class-he'd completely balk at this cover and think: "Oh, here we go-another ROMANCE". And he'd be distracted from the fact that it actually ISN'T a romance (well, sort of), it's social satire that can be hilarious sometimes.








































The Weird, Upside-Down Rubbing Noses Couple:
Okay-so despite the flowery, dark pink borders and the heart, I think this one hits a LITTLE closer to home. I actually could imagine the couple as a modern Lizzie and Darcy. I messed with the colors a little bit and added some oddly angled flowers, so it has an almost retro look to it. But I still think this one is a little bit too girly (not that I'm not a fan of girly or anything)





















The Light Bulb in-a-dark-room Cover:
This is actually my favorite so far.
I chose a light bulb because that's what Elizabeth is to Darcy and Darcy to Elizabeth (once they figure out they're perfect for one another)-a light in their dark, lonely world.
Or something along those lines.
It's definitely not girly. And it's one of those covers that makes you wonder. The only thing I don't like about it is the font that I wrote "Pride and Prejudice" in. What do ya'll think?
Goodnight,
Sooks

5 comments:

Erin said...

You've done a really great job making these covers. I'd like to re-do some of my favorite classics, except I'm a nerd when it comes to photoshop. *sigh*

All of these covers capture a certain aspect of the P&P story...I'm just not sure any of them quite "fit", if you know what I mean...the flower one sure is purty though. :)

Sookie said...

Thanks for your imput-I can see what you mean about not actually fitting, though. In my mind it needs to be something like a bridge between the old and the new-a timeless classic-just like the book.
And no worries, I'm a Photoshop nerd, also.

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

I have friends who have never read a novel. Talk about being deprived for all of life from the really good stuff!

Erin said...

Your questions:
1. If you could co-star in a movie with a famous (or not-so-famous) actor or actress, who would you pick?
2. If you were a villain in a book, who would you be?
3. Best book you've read this year?
4. If your life were a book, what genre would it be?
5. If the past month of your life were made into a movie, what would be its theme song?

Jackie said...

This is a really cool project - the covers look great! Had they looked like that when I was younger, I would have read the book!