Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Top Five Books of January

Yay! It's Finally here!
If you haven't read my top five before- please refer to
my first post to understand the rules.








Bridge to Terabithia
Excellent! Wonderful! Bravo Katherine Paterson!
I read this book in anticipation of the movie, soon to come out.
And I was surprised.
Rather than this book being filled with mythical creatures, palaces, and trademark fantasy items, this book was very real, and very sobering.
Jesse Aarons is just a normal kid. His only wish is to win an all-boys running contest at school.
That is, until, Leslie Burke shows up and beats him on the spot.
Even though this seems hardly any of a beginning friendship, they become very good friends and create a place in their imaginations-Terabithia is born.
But tragedy will soon follow, leaving Jess devastated.
I strongly recommend you read the book!




Girl, 15, Charming but Insane
See my review to know why I love this
book.
































A Northern Light by Jenifer Donelly
I loved this book. It was ssssooooo good! Trust me. Just read it.
It's a Printz winner too.
The basic storyline:
Mattie lived in North Woods, New York with her father and sisters during the early nineteen hundreds.
When she finds a job at a hotel-she is asked by a girl, Grace Brown, to burn a pack of letters. Grace and her "sweetheart" turn up missing, until they find Grace's body. She's dead.
It's now up to Mattie whether she'll keep quiet or prove that Grace Brown was murdered.

Ophelia by Lisa Klein
A good book-especially for those who had trouble understanding HAMLET. Ophelia can be a bit slow going, but in the end it is a truly beautiful book.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Classic! My second reading. Let me say-I'm a definite fan of Jane Austen!


Runners up (this is the first time I've ever had runners up for the Top Five):
Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
The Crying Rocks by Janet Taylor Lisle

2 comments:

Erin said...

I have heard soooo many good things about Bridge to Terabithia, I really need to read it!

Ophelia and A Northern Light--on my list!

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

I read "Bridge to Terabithia" so long ago!