Monday, January 1, 2007

Sookie's Top Five for December

Last month, for November's top five, I did something totally different than I've done for September and October.
This month I'm returning to doing it the old way.
If you don't understand the method to my madness, refer to the sidebar under the "categories and Favorites" section.



Princess On the Brink by Meg Cabot
(Book Eight in the Princess Diaries series)

Getting the latest book in the Princess Diaries is essential (that's most likely spelled wrong but I think you get the point) for any girl who loves these things:
a. Romance
b. Diaries
c.Princess-y stuff
d. dysfunctional families that also happen to be royalty
e. the woes of a vegetarian who likes meat
f. New York

The Beatrice Letters by Lemony Snicket & Beatrice Baudelaire
(companion book to A Series of Unfortunate Events)

The Beatrice Letters are crucial if you love all things Lemony.

Once again Mr. Snicket (or Mr. Handler) you've done something genius-fuelling your fans love of morbid mystery stories.

Erec Rex: The Dragon's Eye (sorry-stupid computer still won't let me upload it's cover) By Kaza Kingsley (Book 1 in the Erec Rex series)

More on Erec Rex

An awesome, fun, and fast-paced book. A must have for any fantasy lover.

Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

I loved this book. I've always wondered if there wasn't some sort of place where all of the magical creatures flocked to. A very good story-very original.

The Grim Grotto by Lemony Snicket (book the eleventh in a series of Unfortunate Events)

My favorite new character has to be captain Widdershins. Seriously-everyone MUST read this. Although I liked the Penultimate Peril (good if not a bit confusing), Grim Grotto will always be one of my favorites.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got Beatrice Letters for Christmas and am currently half-way through!

I didn't like Grim Grotto much . . . it wasn't my least favorite (that would be The Miserable Mill) but I just thought Count Olaf's new "laugh" was kind of cheesy and uncharacteristic . . . I liked Carmelita's new 'guise best! :D

I've read Fablehaven, and enjoyed it.

The only one I haven't read is Princess on the Brink! Have you read the whole series?

Sookie said...

Ha.
Well-I one day decided I'd read book 4 even though they didn't have book 1-3 at the library.
So I read book 4, 5, 6, 7, and now eight plus this summer I decided I needed to read 1-3 but only read one.
About Olaf's laugh-even though it was completely uncharacteristic and I think a little overdone, I still think it was pretty hilarious.
I also thought Miserable Mill was pretty good (even though it was kind of short. What made it the worst one for you?

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know . . . something about Klaus's being hypnotized and the helplessness of his siblings horrified me, I guess. And I'm not one to be depressed by these books! I would read it again . . . it just wasn't a favorite. :)

My favorites:
The Austere Academy
The Ersatz Elevator
I really like the first three....
The End (because of its end! lol)

I really do like all of them, though.

Sookie said...

My favorites are:
The Miserable Mill (though I feel the same way about the hypnosis as you do-I think I like it because of Sir and Charles and the crazy optimist guy)
The Reptile Room
The Austere Academy
The Ersatz Elevator
&The Hostile Hospital
(Plus the Grim Grotto)
but your right-it's impossible to not like all of them.