Monday, January 22, 2007

Girl, 15, Charming but Insane by Sue Limb

A review by Sookie


Girl, 15, Charming but Insane
Sue Limb
I got this very charming (but insane!) book on a dare. I'm not usually a fan of chick-lit (with an exception with Meg Cabot's books though). But I have to admit-this one was pretty good!
It was fun reading about the hilarious situations Jess always gets herself into (also, her dad sends her hilarious joke horoscopes throughout, though he's sort of a mystery man because he doesn't show up at all in this book).
She wants to be a standd-up comedian-and appropriately so!
I did have a few problems with the book, though.
And that makes it tough to recommend.
Jess lives with her feminist "mum" and the theme of anti-men is spewed constantly in the book.
Nevertheless, there is a lot of sexual references, and a lot of (unnecessary) nasty language.
I don't think I could have finished the book would it not have been for the great save at the very end.
The end of the book is much less vulgar, and has so much more comedy.
I really really want to recommend this book-I do. But that's a bit hard.
Nevertheless, I'll be picking up the sequel (in hopes that the language is a bit more innocent), which is supposedly about her road trip to see her dad.
If you can handle it-maybe even skip a few unnecessary parts- then I think it could be called recommendable.
Cheers,
Sookie

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hm...this sounds kinda interesting, but maybe I'll pass on it for now...

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

I like the cover. :)

Anonymous said...

This book is: witty, funny and clever. Perfect for us teenage girls. I think we al see a bit of Jess in us.