Sunday, October 1, 2006

Valiant by Holly Black

Valiant by Holly Black

Many people loved Tithe and the Spiderwick Chronicles (though I haven't read those, I've only read Tithe) and they're very highly recommended books.
I was a little more than dissapointed, though, when I read Tithe.
The language was very vulgar, and the characters not very lickable at all.
And there were numerous other things that bothered me about that book.
When Valiant came out, I delayed in reading it.
I decided it was time to read it last week.
And this is all I have to say about it-
It's almost the same sort of story as Tithe-lots of cursing, lots of drug and sexual references.
Most of it was very inapropriate, for me, at least.
And all of it distracted from the story-which wasn't half bad if it didn't have certain elements.
So-I can't really recommend it. But at least I'll say that it wasn't as bad as Tithe.
Anyway, here's what I can tell you about the story:
After finding out that her mother has had an affair with her boyfriend, Valerie runs away to New York City and starts hanging out with a group of homeless kids that live in the Subway.
Luis, one of those kids, claims to have the Second Sight. And Dave, his brother, makes deliveries to hoofed women.
At first Val doesn't believe, but after a run-in with Ravus, a troll, Val is trapped in their world.
She now makes deliveries for Ravus himself and ends up saving his life. To pay his debt, Ravus teaches Val how to use a sword. But all the while, she's caught up in using a certain Faerie substance that is sort of like a drug. Val falls in love with Ravus, but he is disgusted to find out that she's been stealing the drug from him. But all the while-there have been Faerie poisonings everywhere, and Ravus is blamed and taken away. And it's now up to Val to use all her training to defeat the evil faerie. If this sounds interesting to anyone, I'd say the age level is probably sixteen and up.

4 comments:

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Oh, cool! Book reviews! I am also an avid reader. :)

Sookie said...

Yeah, I love books way too much :)
but I think thats a good thing.

Erin said...

I have not read either "Valiant" or "Tithe" but have read "The Spiderwick Chronicles", and let me tell you, I was not impressed! Basically all five books are just one story, they leave off with the worst cliff-hanger endings I have ever come across. And they were not incredibly well-written, either. I think I will stay away from any more books by Holly....

Sookie said...

That's what we in Texas call-good thinkin'