Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Abortion

I'm fully aware that this is suppose to be a blog about things I like-book reviews and stories. But I'm writing this time about something I don't like. At all.
Tomorrow in Ethics class I'll be turining in my quarter project, which is a paper that I have to write about some controversial issue in the world.
Ethics is a very watered down class meant, at my school at least, to tell students that their view is completely right and the world's a nice little happy bubble and that the entertainment world is the devil. This is exactly how the Ms. B teaches the class. I am not exaggerating. So, with this in mind, I've decided to do my quarter project on abortion. This is a bit of the paper I will be turning in tomorrow, I'm hoping it burst that bubble...

'The real question we need to ask ourselves (about abortion) is, are we devaluing human life and personhood in the same way Hitler and Stalin and many other tyrants have? There are only two possible answers to this question. Yes, we are in fact murdering human beings who have no say in their death. Or, no- the safety and well-being of the mother is more important than the life of the partially formed child. Being a Christian myself, I believe the answer to the question above is yes. The Ten Commandments and scriptures do not agree with abortion, either. “Thou Shalt Not Kill,” is a very famous Commandment, given to us by God. In Leviticus He says, “‘do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.” In Matthew Jesus clearly states, “’Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself.’” [Emphases added by me]
Jesus has also explained that our neighbor is every fellow human being.
Now, the argument that Choice and Woman’s Rights makes is that a fetus is not actually a human. But, even by scientific and non-religious measures, a fetus is considered to be human. In fact, everything belonging to the Homo sapiens species is a human being, even if they are not fully formed yet or cannot voice an opinion. So that should completely dissolve the whole issue on abortion. However, it doesn’t. And there are many people out there who are actually advocates of murdering innocent children of their own species, their own kind.
Let’s say you were going incubate geese eggs, like I once did when I was a child. It’s a very difficult task of collecting the specific types of eggs you want, because the mother of the goose is very protective of her nest. She’ll hiss and try to bite you if you provoke her enough. And this is because she knows that she has the special job of protecting her eggs. The father comes in too, yes. But most of the attacking comes from the mother, why? Because those are her children you are taking from her, and she fears she’ll never see them again. And this is from animals. Why are we killing off our own kind? Why are we supporting something so awful that Hitler and his surgeons practiced?'

and then this is my last question on the paper,
'My final question is, which human really has the right to decide whether someone else has the right to die or not when they can’t control their own life or death?'



-Sookie

2 comments:

Erin said...

Good job, I hope it ruffles a few feathers. :)

Sookie said...

Just turned it in today!

By the way, Erin, I was just reading your story "Anti-Acting Thesbe" (loved it by the way) when I stumbled on another blog of yours that said you were sending a cookbook to Lemony Snicket to see if it would be published, and I was just wondering-did he like it?
Has it been published?
I'll look for it if it has, I love cooking :)