Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Phantom of the Opera

The Phantom of the Opera-
Sookie's Favorite Quotes and Scenes








The Phantom: Wandering child so lost, so helpless. Yearning for my guidance. Christine: Angel or Father? Friend of Phantom? Who is there starting? ThePhantom: Have you forgotten your Angel?
Christine: Angel oh speak, what endless longings? Echo in this whisper. The Phantom: Too long you've waunder in winter. Far from my fathering gaze. Christine: Wildly my mind beats against you...
The Phantom: You resist...
Christine : /Yet,but/ /your,the/ soul obeys... The Phantom,
Christine : Angel of Music /you,I/ denied /me,you/. Turning from true beauty! Angel of Music /do not shun me,my protector/ come to me/ strange angel!
The Phantom: I am your Angel of Music... Come to me Angel of Music.




Christine: My God, who is this man who hunts to kill? I can't escape from him, I never will!




Christine: Who was that shape in the shadows? Whose is that face in the mask? [touches his face and rips of mask]
The Phantom: [covers face] Damn you! You little prying Pandora! You little demon! Is this what you wanted to see? Curse you! You little lying Delilah! You little *viper*! Now you cannot ever be free! Damn you! Curse you!
The Phantom: [changes mood from angry to sad] Stranger than you dreamt it, can you even bear to look, or dare to think of me?... This lonesome gargoyle who burns in hell but secretly yearns for heaven secretly, secretly but Christine... fear can turn to love you'll learn to see to find the man behind the monstor this... repulsive carcass that seems a beast but secretly dreams of beauty secretly, secretly... [crying]
The Phantom: Oh, Christine.
The Phantom: [Christine hands him the mask]



Raoul: No more talk of darkness. Forget these wide-eyed fears, I'm here. Nothing can harm you. My words will warm and calm you. Let me be your freedom. Let daylight dry your tears. I'm here, with you, beside you, to guard you and to guide you.

Christine: Say you love me every waking moment. Turn my head with talk of summertime. Say you need me with you now and always. Promise me that all you say is true. That's all I ask of you.



Christine: This haunted face holds no horror for me now. It's in your soul that the true distortion lies.

Christine DaaƩ: Twisted every way, what answer can I give?/Am I to risk my life to win the chance to live?/Can I betray the man who once inspired my voice?/Do I become his prey?/Do I have any choice?/He kills without a thought/He murders all that's good/I know I can't refuse/And yet, I wish I could/Oh god, if I agree, what horrors wait for me/In this, the Phantom's opera...

The Phantom: Seal my fate tonight. I hate to have to cut the fun short, but the joke's wearing thin. Let the audience in. Let my opera begin!

Crowd: Masquerade! Every face a different shade. Masquerade. Look around, there's another mask behind you!

The Phantom: Take her, forget me, forget all of this. Leave me alone, forget all you've seen. Go now, don't let them find you. Take the boat, swear to me never to tell. The secrets you know, of the Angel in Hell. [shouts]

The Phantom: Go now! Go now and leave me.

Christine DaaƩ: [sung] In sleep, he sang to me. In dreams, he came. That voice which calls to me and speaks my name. And do I dream again? For now I find the Phantom of the Opera is there, inside my mind.

Minnie Driver (sung at the end credits) : Child of the wilderness Born into emptiness Learn to be lonely Learn to find your way in darkness Who will be there for you, comfort and care for you? Learn to be lonely Learn to be your one companion Never dreamed out in the world There are arms to hold you You've always known Your heart was on its own So laugh in your loneliness Child of the wilderness Learn to be lonely Learn how to love life that is lived alone Learn to be lonely life can be lived life can be loved Alone.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I love the song that Raoul and Christine sing together - it's very beautiful

Sookie said...

Yeah, it's my favorite song from the soundtrack, even over "Music of the Night". But I'm kind of dissapointed with the guy they picked to play Roul-his manerisms were sort of awkward.

Anonymous said...

I love that part when she takes his mask of and he talks 'This lonesome gargoyle who burns in hell but secretly yearns for heaven secretly, secretly ..' Gosh..So awesome.