Sunday, September 24, 2006

Fairest by Gail Carson Levine


Fairest by Gail Carson Levine

"I was born singing. Most babies cry. I sang an aria."
-Fairest

This is the first book I've finished on the Fall into reading challenge booklist.
Let me tell you-I loved it!
I've loved everyone of Gail Carson Levine's books (except Writing Magic-the one book I'd REALLY love to read right now), and this one was no exception.
In fact, although Ella Enchanted will always be my favorite, this one was excellant-because it was like reading a song. And you don't know how good that is to a person who is an audio learner, or whatever, unless you ARE one of those people.
Aza's voice is strong throughout the whole story. And always very even-and of course always on key!
The story is great-I won't go into detail, you can go and read the Barnes and Noble reviews for that.
The only dissapointing thing is Aza's romantic interest-Prince Ijori. Not that there's anything wrong with Prince Ijori, it's just that the connection between them wasn't as strong as Addie's and Rhys connection, or Ella's and Char's. Of course, the main point of the book was not her love, it was centered around her self discoveries and adventures. So that may be why the connection is not so strong.
Even with that I was extremely pleased and I hope Gail Carson Levine writes more fabulous books!!!

-Sookie

1 comment:

Erin said...

That is exactly what my opinions were - Ella Enchanted is still my favorite; however I really really enjoyed it; BUT the romance wasn't as charming as could be wished.

I ordered Writing Magic - hopefully it will arrive soon!!